Just a reminder...

When you post here, remember that our blog is public and also remember the Acceptable Use Policy of our school. You may find a copy of it on the school website. This blog will be informative and interesting if everyone takes it seriously.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Music

Many people like to listen to different types of music, I for one listen to pretty much everything.. except country. I don't see why some people have such angry beliefs about whats "good". Some people that listen to rock, will talk about how "gay" rap is and how its dumb. But then others will say that rock is to much screaming. Everyone says that they listen to good music, and that what everyone else listens to isn't good. Why cant people understand that different people have different tastes?

3 comments:

Sean McKelvey said...

Jake described me perfectly. I listen to rock/metal of the 70's and 80's and I can't stand rap. But it's not just rap, I don't really like any new music. I don't really know why I am so defensive of my music and so aggressive towards others.My best geuss is that different musics are different cultures and sometimes different cultures fight.

Anonymous said...

I believe most, if not all music has something of value. Other people, as Jake said, won't even consider listening to unfamiliar music because of stereotypical misconceptions about the genre of music or the artists that make it. I listen to many different kinds of music, from "extreme" metal, to hip-hop, to reggae, to 60's folk and progressive rock. Since I started listening to music, my attitude regarding the different genres has changed. I think most people that have a real love for music learn to respect certain genres that they may not like themselves, based on the idea that if you someone likes it, it must have some kind of value. Some people just need the time to mature and figure out for themselves that it's not worth bashing things based on opinion.

Steve Maiale said...

I mostly agree with Khalil on this matter. While I myself have an interest in multiple genres of music, I still have a degree of dislike for some artists. Music taste generally depends on the person, their mood, and most importantly, their musical knowledge. People shouldn't hold prejudice for other genres and their listeners just because it doesn't suit their tastes. That's just foolish. Much is the same with different religions. Just because someone may have different beliefs than you doesn't mean that they should be held in a different light than any other human being. The beliefs of others should be respected, not mocked. You wouldn't enjoy it if someone mocked yours.